Sunday, June 26, 2011

Juvenilia







"I am the manager, said the manager, since he was the manager." Beckett, Mercier et Camier

This is, without a doubt, one of those things that most people would certainly never find funny (not even if they read it themselves in the context of the novelistic setting) but when I came across this brief vaudevillian line in one of Beckett's earlier novels about, what else, two vagabonds trying and failing to leave an oppressive and asphyxiating city, as he was still experimenting with and discovering his form and style (and also his first French-written novel), I laughed, out loud, by myself, for a good five minutes, repeating the sentence over and over in a joyous delirium I imagine Beckett would appreciate. Thinking of it now, still, I laugh, a good gut-pinching guffaw. 'Tis the little things that get us by, bit by fucking bit.

1 comment:

  1. "'Tis the little things that get us by, bit by fucking bit. "

    Well put

    ReplyDelete